Pages

5.01.2009

cep spotlight: brideface



steph carson photography

Can I just tell you I love Nance? She is brilliant, fun and oh so sassy. My kind of girl. She's also a dog lover & took in our precious little Penney when Brady developed an allergy to her. Seriously this woman is just an amazing person. Nancy and her staff are experts at highlighting a woman's best features & creating a perfect look that lasts through crying, hugs, and time. I'm always happy when a bride decides to use brideface! ok - on to the interview portion of this post...

[1] How did you get started in bridal makeup artistry?
I have been doing makeup for about 13 years-I did theatre, video, runway, print-but always did weddings on the side. After I had my third child I decided to stay home full time. Well, after a few months of that I was very restless and started my own business. I had always done weddings as a sideline and loved it-I figured the work hours would fit in well for a mom to(at the time) three under three. That was about four years ago.

[2] In five words or less, describe your business philosophy
-treat the bride like a celebrity

[3] In three words or less describe your personality
-multi tasker
-driven
-softie

[4] What inspires you?
my wedding industry colleagues; many are true artists. I could pick their brains for hours.

[5] Name your top three favorite make-up products for brides. for everyday?
For wedding:
1.Model in a Bottle. Hands down the best makeup sealant-through tears, sweat, even for a photoshoot in a fountain
2. Laura Mercier cake liner. It's waterproof, and applied inside the upper lashline it gives your eyes mondo definition
3. individual false lashes. Need I say more?
For everyday:
1. Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. SPF 30, sheer but gives you that elusive "glow" and evens out your skintone.
2. Shu Uemera eyelash curler. Go from haggard to bright eyed in two squeezes.
3. that cake liner again. Once you learn the tight line technique, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

[6] What can brides do to get their face looking it's best leading up to the big day?
I find that a lot of young women don't use eye cream, yet wonder why they have dark circles and are dehydrated. Work that into your regimen. If you can swing getting facials, especially monthly glycolic peels, you will see an amazing transformation in your skin. If you are pinching pennies, you can try many over the counter, at home pads that mimic that same effect only in lower strength-look at Patricia Wexler for Bath and Body Works or Loreal's Anti-Acne Trio.

[7] What do you love most about what you do?
I am a sucker for the whole wedding "thing". I love when the flowers arrive, I adore when the mother of the bride gets teary. I could look at wedding pictures ad nauseam. It is an honor to be chosen to spend such a private and special time getting that bride ready.

[8] If you could have lunch with anyone who would it be?
Julie Schmidt, of course! (Okay,so butt- kissing I am not so great at.) I would say Kevyn Aucoin, Makeup Artist Extraordinaire. Though he is no longer with us.

[9] If you had three wishes what would they be?
-to hang out with my sister for a whole day
-to have more patience
-a pony

[10] If you had to pick a theme song, what would it be?
"Counting my Blessings" from the movie White Christmas. Yes I know it's corny, but I am in a sentimental mood. wait-should "In a Sentimental Mood' be my theme song-?

Bonus question - Skyline Chili or Gold Star Chili?
Can I say Dixie Chili? If not, then Skyline, definitely.


I also asked Nancy to share some of her favorite bridal looks she's created over the past years.

steph carson


bluebird photography


bluebird photography (also a cep bride!)


wagner photographics


wagner photographics
for more information on brideface, visit the website here

2 comments:

nancy said...

Thanks Jules!!!
i think I made an error though; the first bride looking down is an image by Steph Carson, not tm.

Jules said...

all fixed!

Post a Comment